Seeing as bananas are pretty much the only fruit my son will eat, it is something I always have on hand. I almost always have 2 or 3 bananas that have survived the week and reached the over ripe stage. Bananas have also been shown to aid in digestion, and help maintain healthy bones and kidney. Here are a few interesting recipes that use over ripe bananas.
- Banana ice cream – This is something I make pretty regularly and it is my preferred way to use up over ripe bananas. I find I can shove these few bananas in a freezer bag quickly and once they are frozen solid they are all set for ice cream.
- Banana Bread -This is a recipe I posted about a year ago. It is amazingly moist and delicious and easy to bring together. Plus it is low calorie and low fat. They only problem is sticking to just one slice!
- Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie – I like to use some of my frozen bananas to thicken up a smoothie. I use shakeology but you can use them in really any smoothie recipe to bump up the creamy texture and sweetness.
- Banana Muffins – Plan on trying this recipe today since I have some Nutella to use up. Sounds yummy!
- Banana Cookies – Did you know you could substituting bananas for eggs! Did not know you could do this with bananas until I found this recipes. I think it is genius. Can’t wait to try it.